Thursday, October 28, 2010

She is home

Words could not describe how happy I was to go to the hospital at 4 am yesterday morning. I had planned on going at 5 but I was so excited that she would be almost for sure coming home. All the nurses commented on how early I was. When I walked in the Nursery Nurse Julie told me to go and get her out, That she was waiting for me. I took her out with her Bili blanket (it is a bili light that is like a pad that you can wrap inside her blanket.) I just held her until the flobatimist (SP?) came and took her blood at 6 am. She then ran our tests down to the lab even though she had lots of other babies to do. (They all liked me and Melanie) The next hour was the hardest. Megan and Ashley started to text me at 6:30 "has the test come back yet" "are you coming home today" Shift change also changed at 6 so I lost my favorite nurse Julie.( I will tell you that story later) We had new nurses and a new RN so I left the nursery in search of this nurse. When I met her I informed her that she was to call Dr. Twiggs the minute the results came in and then to let me know. After one more gentle reminder ( when I saw the results on Melanies chart) She called the Dr. and we were now offically being checked out.. Melanie decided that she needed to eat at that point and had never had to rush feeding before ( feeding was the one time I could hold her. And I dragged the 30 minute alloted time out as much as I could). I rushed her as much as a 5 day old little baby could be rushed. The nurses packed her cart up and we finally got out the door. When I finally started my van I started to cry. I was on my way home with my beautiful baby.
When I opened the garage door all the girls came running out. I did not have to do a thing . They got all her stuff and took her in. Life has never been better. She slept all day and did really good last night.It is amazing to me that Mothers have had to leave babies at the hospital longer then I did and some never get to bring them home. And they all survived. The Lord new what I could handle and he was with me every step of the way. I am greatful for such wonderful family especially my Husband. He is such a great dad. He took the kids to get pumpkins and carved them, While I was back and forth from the hospital with Melanie.He never complained when I went to the hospital every morning around 5 am and then came back home to sleep. Or when I came home and cried because I missed her so much. My Mother , Jessican and Lori kept the kids and the house clean. What would I have done without them. Watch out all who helped I will return the favor

3 comments:

Hopie said...

That is so great!!!! I'm happy for you!!! I AM one of those moms you talk about. We didn't even get to hold Tyler until he was 11 days old, then he was 28 days until we got to come home... and we were in SLC the whole time!!! It was torture, but we survived and so did you!!! I'm so happy!!!!!

Rachel Doyle said...

I am so glad she is home! I hate NICU stays. Brynna was the only baby out of my four that I got to bring home with me. Walking out without a baby is the most horrid thing out there. Hannah and Kaleb were about a week and well well know how it turned out with Nathan - so I am so grateful that you finally have all your chicks in the nest back home. I hope you get some sleep.

Kandace Wittwer said...

So excited for you! I am also one of those unlucky Moms. Nothing can compare with the feeling of leaving a baby behind, but nothing compares with the joy of bringing one home either! So glad she's doing well. I hope to see both of you sometime soon!