Monday, April 20, 2009

I need HELP

I need help. So once upon a time there was this amazing Mother. Church started at 9 am and there was never a time that she was late. She would have all 4 of her darling girls all dressed up and ready to go by 8:30, her little baby boy ( who by the way was the most handsome little fellow), would be nursed and dressed and all ready to go too. They would jump in there fancy little mini van and arrive with style at the church house. Being that they were early they chose one of the padded benches near the front. (That was so there ever so amazing father could give them the eye.) The little ones had the oppurtunity to go to the restroom and get a drink, and then sat themselves with there homeade quiet books that were the most adorable and brilliant things. Then Church would start. The baby would start to wiggle the girls would start to wiggle, the Mom would notice the little ones had forgotten there shoes,forgot to wash there face, or did not brush there teeth. Then the baby starts to grunt, the little ones need to go potty, the big ones want the book, won't sing. Moms face starts to turn from a smile to a bright red. The Baby starts to wail, The Mom takes the baby out and the littlest one tags behind her
After much needed time in the hall Sunday school starts. Honey bun comes down from the stand to sit by his amazing wife and puts the handsome fellow to sleep. Baby wakes up Amazing mother goes to Mothers Lounge and feeds handsome fellow. Amazing Mom heads back to Relief society and enjoys music and announcments, baby giggles through music and then fills his teensy pants and overflows them. Amazing Mother heads back to Mothers lounge and uses a whole package of wipes to change his little pants, gets packed up and heads back to the hall. Church only has 8 minutes left at this point. When the clock finally strikes 12 noon she picks up all her little ones from primary and heads home were the only thing that sounds inviting is the bed in her room, wishing it would be happily ever after. But lunch is calling.
Now this is were I need help.
1- What can I do to help my older ones enjoy sacrament?
2- any ideas on helping my baby make it through church better?
3- What can I do to make the day easier for my kids when I get home so I can take a short needed nap?
I would like everyone to please leave Ideas. If you have friends tell them to come and give me ideas. please I need help

9 comments:

Bree said...

You are an amazing Mom so keep telling yourself that. And you really do have great kids. I remember Mom making us sit on the couch when we got home for 10 to 20 minutes if we hadn't been good during church. It has helped Hallie and Annie cause they hate sitting on the couch. As for the nap thing, some things we just have to say good bye to for now. And last, ask your kids what they think will help church go better. Sometimes if it is their idea they are more willing to follow. Let them make the consequences too. Love you and know that it will get better.

Hopie said...

I remember wanting to go crazy when we had just Maddison and I said to an older man in the ward that I didn't know why I even came to church, the hall way didn't need me every week. His response changed me, "you are here to teach your kids that's where you NEED to be". I look at it a little different now. You're doing fine. Hang in there.

Stacie Lang said...

I hear you loud and clear!!!! I don't really thing that there is a perfect answer. I think I spent all of my time in the hall while Steve was in the bishopbric. One thing that helped me (not the kids) was having Steve take the baby during the third hour sometimes so I could just sit, listen and feel the spirit. I like Brees idea about time on the couch for those who are not reverent it worked for my girls too, and I remember it from when I was younger.... thats gotta count for something right. Good Luck and hang in there it will get better.

Jen (momofmandm) said...

I say just stay home!! Ha ha ha just kidding. Its days like that when we wonder why we even bother. I wish I had some brilliant ideas but I can barely make it myself. Good luck to you!

Sara said...

Hey thanks for the comment. You and Bree totally look alike. She's awesome, I love having her here in Kville.

Hey can you get me in touch w/ that friend of yours? I'd love to see her quiet books and see if she'd like to host a giveaway. it's definitely a great way to get traffic to her site/products! :)

my email is sarajoyner at gmail
thx!

Adam and Robyn said...

I wish I had some good words of wisdom for you, but you've seen me on Sunday...always late and sitting in the foyer..and that's with a husband home and only three kids.

Brenda said...

After church, have leftover pizza from the weekend or something in the crockpot. Have a church video ready to roll. The kids can have lunch and watch while you nap. Your older kids during the meeting? Drawing always worked the best for my kids when they were younger. Have a special notebook and pencils that are for Sunday only. The baby? That's harder and not really something that can be controlled. Just enjoy him while you can...soon, he will be off on his mission and you will miss your days out in the lobby. I promise. When my 3rd child was born, they put my husband in the Bishopric. I know EXACTLY what you are going through...you will still get what you need through osmosis and just being there sets the example for your kids that they need. Hang in there.

Kandace Wittwer said...

Hey Janae! I didn't know Kerry was in the bishopric! I know exactly what you're saying! Mike is in the bishopric too, and we have 9 am meetings. I always tell Mike that Sunday is definitely NOT a day of rest! I have toys that are only for Sunday use so the kids are interested in them on Sunday. I also have a consequence jar for any misbehavior from the older kids. If you'd like, I can tell you more about that later. The little ones are the hardest because they don't understand. When my kids have to go out in the hall, I make them sit on my lap or I hold them. Now Jaden absolutely hates being in the hall and throws HUGE fits once his there to go back to sacrament meeting. This helps them behave better in Sacrament meeting. Then, after church I usually have dinner ready in advance or eat leftovers, put the baby down for a nap, and turn on a movie for the other kids. I get minimal R&R, but anything's worth a try right? Good luck!

amber said...

I'd offer some advice, but you've seen my 3 wild kids! I loose the baby under the bench, Samuel gets upset because his sacrament bread has crust, Bella cries - who knows why. I figure such is the season of my life right now.

You are an amazing mom to get everyone to church without husband to help! I would love to look at your quiet books. I need some help for my little ones.